After the hike back down Currahee, we re-visited the site of Camp Toccoa, this time with the sun shining in a blue October sky. Close to the bottom of the trail is the only remaining building from the World War II camp: a long white brick building that is
believed to be a former mess hall for Camp Toccoa. Similar buildings are visible in this aerial photograph, a row of the buildings running from the top to the bottom in the center of the photograph. Photograph courtesy of the Stephens County Historical
The site of the former camp has now been taken over by local businessesand reclaimed by Georgia pines. Most of the camp buildings were constructed of lumber and were easily dismantled after the War ended.However, here and there are indications of the camp that was such a bustling center of activity in those dark days of 1942...old street curbs, fire hydrants, dirt roads through the pines. Toccoa has placed street signs along Camp Drive to mark where some of the camp streets were located: Camp Dr., Reginmental Dr., Battling Buzzard Blvd., Rock Haugen Ln., and Walsh/Graves Ln.
The memorial at the former entrance to Camp Toccoa commemorates not only the thousands of men who trainedat the Camp, but also those who made the ultimate sacrifice for the cause of freedom. We will be forever in their debt.
All information and images Copyright 2013 Framing History